Brooklands Hotel – Venue of the Month
30 May 2017
Brooklands Hotel, is a unique independent hotel situated in Weybridge, Surrey.
Not many hotels can say that they were built on the site of a legendary motor race track, let alone the world’s first purpose built race track. From its recent opening in 2010, Brooklands Hotel is certainly a venue that boasts an iconic, Art Deco inspired interior. We wanted to provide you with an insight into the very special history that surrounds this prestigious venue.
- On the 17th June 1907, after just nine months of work, the still unfinished Brooklands motor course opened, with the first official race taking place on the 6th July 1907. The 28th – 29th June 1907 saw Selwyn Francis Edge, use the track with his green six-cylinder Napier for a record breaking 24 hours, a record he held for 17 years.
- Brooklands Hotel takes great inspiration from its racetrack history and location, from the original Brooklands racetrack, which rolls out before you in riven quartz and honed granite, to the glittering 1930s inspired honeycomb pendants that greet you upon arrival.
- As mentioned, the Brooklands site is home to one of Britain’s most famous racing heritage circuits – it was the world’s first purpose built real race track, which opened in 1907 by wealthy land owner Hugh Locke King and was the scene of the earliest motor racing in the country during the 1920s and 1930s.
- The world record for the first person to cover 100 miles in one hour, was set by Percy E. Lambert at Brooklands. A contemporary film of his exploits on that day can be viewed from the Brooklands Museum website. Brooklands last ever race happened in 1939, due to the closure of the track during World War II, where some of the track was damaged by enemy bombing.
Since opening in 2010, Brooklands Hotel has been recognised for the following awards:
- We featured in the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies To Work for in 2017, for the fourth year in a row
- Two AA rosettes for 1907 restaurant, bar & grill
- Shortlisted for the Best Place for Women to Work
If you are planning on visiting Brooklands Hotel, there is plenty to do during your stay, for example: a delicious Afternoon Tea, or why not even plan a spa treatment to help you unwind by taking a dip in the outdoor hot tub, you could even take a walk across the road to Mercedes Benz World and then finish the day with a meal in 1907.
With plenty to offer for your next celebration or meeting, this independent hotel is certainly one not to be missed.
For any enquires to host your event at Brooklands Hotel, please contact their very helpful Events team:
+44 (0) 1932 335720